DIY Face Mask With Filter Pocket - NO SEW
How to make a DIY face mask with filter pocket. The easiest reusable face mask tutorial with no sewing required! A useful upcycled t-shirt transformation for quarantine. You can make a cotton face mask in 5 minutes!
Today I will be showing you how to make an easy no-sew t-shirt mask. The CDC is recommending that we wear a mask when we go out in public and I've been noticing that a lot of the tutorials on making t-shirt masks do not include a filter. Wearing just a t-shirt mask without a filter... you might as well not be wearing a mask at all. So, today I'm going to show you how to make one with no sewing that has a filter pockets so that you can stay protected.
How to make a do it yourself face mask with a filter pocket:
- Step one is to cut off the sleeves of your T-shirt.
- Step two is to measure the height of your mask. Measure 12 inches high, and mark it with your chalk.
- Now, cut off the bottom seam of your your shirt. Measure 1 inch up from the bottom, and cut all the way across to make a 1 inch wide string for your mask.
- Cut all the way down the side seam on both sides.
- You’ll have two pieces, stretch your two 1 inch strings into ropes and then fold the mask in to make the pocket for your filter.
- Fold it in about an inch and a half on each side.
- After you fold in your sides for the filter you'll want to measure the length of your mask. I made mine 10 inches, but it will depend on the width of your face. You want 8 inches for the mask width, plus an extra inch on each side.
- Now we're going to fold in 1 inch on each side of the width of the mask. Then, cut some tiny slits along the fold to weave our ropes through. Don't cut in too far because when you open up your mask it will be double the width that you cut here. Do the same for both sides of the mask.
- Now unfold, and take those ropes you made and weave them in and out of the holes on each side.
- Now all you have to do is add your filter. I recommend using a coffee filter or actually, one of these blue shop towels works well too.
- Cut it to the right size and put it inside.
Look how cute our no-sew face mask is! Not bad for a no sewing version. If you like you can just rolla little piece of wire into the top fold and that will make it fit on your nose even tighter. I feel pretty protected in this knowing that it's got a filter inside too.
I hope you enjoyed this DIY face mask tutorial! Let me know if you tried it in the comments below.
For more cool projects, download my free DIY T-Shirt Hacks Ebook